Tuesday 8 November 2016

About The Neises Family

The Neises Family

By Grandma Rita


Daddy was one of the younger members of a large family.  One child had died as a young girl.  I often wondered if maybe that was why Grandma and Grandpa Neises seemed so solemn, that there was deep sorrow or possibly guilt involved. 

I have very few memories of Grandpa Neises.  He died when I was about nine.  He was burning weeds in the yard.  The fire got out of control and he had a heart attack.   When we got the news, Daddy cried.

   I remember Grandma Neises teaching me to write A,B,C.  


This was before I went to school.  Grandma had a little chest, like a small jewelry box, which she kept on a closet shelf and things that had belonged to Matilda, the daughter who had died suddenly at the table.  Since Joan's middle name was Matilda, Joan and I would stand there and look up at the box, and contemplate what marvelous things that box held for Joan.  (I believe she got it one day, but I never found out what it contained).

Grandma Neises died when I was about 14.  Joan and I stayed for the funeral.  They had her coffin in the parlor which was almost always closed off by a sliding wooden door.  All the relatives filed past. She had always worn a long grey or black dress as if she were in perpetual mourning. When she died, her face looked stern and sad, as I had always remembered it.  All the children got a small pile of treasures when the will was read.  We got a silver coffee pot, which I remember only as a dull grey object that sat on the China closet.