Monday 22 June 2015

Goodbye My Dearest Husband

He Is Now In Heaven

It is a little after 1 a.m. June 2.  Yesterday at 4:45, Bob passed away.  As Bobby said , "He is now in Heaven."

Suzy and Bobby had taken turns being with him at the hospital.  Suzy was so happy when she felt a slight movement of his fingers curling around hers as she held his hand. Bobby played music (his favorite pieces) for him,  and I hoped that showing him the picture of him baking bread at Linda's might stir a little memory.  He was too far gone.  Just being comfortable with a breathing mask, and feeding tube and total lack of fear or anxiety or pain was the most we could hope for.

Last evening, I had been at the Crawford Room having dinner with my friend, Alma.  When I returned to my apartment about 6:30,  Suzy was there. I knew immediately that Bob had died.

Suzy reiterated how peacefully her Dad had left this earth.  That we all might be so lucky. We all had been prepared for this for a long time.  Bob was a "fighter" the Doctor said.  But we knew that he could "fight" just so long.

Mary said she would come down whenever I wished - maybe this weekend.  Linda will fly down from Alaska.  The funeral will probably be next Monday or Tuesday. Suzy and I are supposed to make the final arrangements tomorrow. Trish is hoping to have a small reception afterwards here at the Trott Building where I live. Little details - Suzy had his good suit jacket drycleaned, and bought him a nice new white shirt, size 6 l/2. Tie, courtesy of John Herron.  She had recently bought him a half dozen summer sport shirts. We may give them to one of the boys if they fit.


Lots of details, but Suzy and Bobby as always will take care of them.  It will spare me.  After all, their mother is going to be 92 next month - no "spring chicken." I will need all the strength I can muster for the next week or so.

I am happy I started this project and let Linda continue it .  Charley Paddock was the next one in line to write a tribute to his father-in-law.  I expect many more this week.  I plan to paint a couple of pictures of flowers (from Suzy's demos for her art classes) this week.  

I will try to have a fairly routine schedule so I will be OK for the funeral.

Besides my family, I have many new friends here at Asbury.  I didn't know them l0 months ago when I first moved here.  They are supportive and friendly.  

So, goodbye, my dearest husband.  You had a huge positive influence on all of us.  We will never forget you!

Your loving wife, Rita