Wednesday 24 June 2015

I'm Not Sure If Grandma Wants To Know This

Keuka Lake, Grandpa, Limericks, And A Small Mouth Bass

--By Will
I’m not sure if Grandma wants to know that this honor goes to someone else, but my most memorable meal I’ve ever eaten was prepared by Grandpa.

Will
I must have been 6 or 7 years old when Grandma and Grandpa visited us at Keuka Lake.  It was not a particularly warm week.  I remember it raining quite a bit.

Stuck inside we enjoyed each other’s company.  In typical Grandpa fashion, discussion ranged from tree classification to the Sudan to the Boy Scouts to Limericks.  I also remember a very lively game of Pictionary.  Then I think we made some more Limericks.

What I remember most came the next morning.  I had recently gotten a fishing pole and I wanted to learn to fish.  Grandpa was the first person to stay at our house that had both a fishing license and the patience to help me learn this skill.  

We left the house early in the morning after a large downpour.  Grandpa explained that this was the best time because the worms would be easy to find and the fish would be more active. 


Grandpa & Company On Keuka
 Lake, 5 Years Before This Story.
We sat out on the dock and he taught me how to get the worm on the hook.  We practiced the best way to cast the line.  We even practiced the right speed to reel in the line.  (slow, but not too slow)  While we sat there with my hook in the water, Grandpa caught and released two fish.  I was impressed and he explained that to catch a fish you had to be relaxed and quiet.  Soon after I started emulating his behavior I felt a big tug on my line.  He helped me reel in the BIGGEST FISH I HAD EVER SEEN.  Once it was out of the water he explained that it was an adult small mouth bass, and it was about 7 inches long.

A few hours later, around lunchtime, Grandpa and I took the bucket that was holding the fish up to the house.  He helped me take care of all the scales and remove all the unpleasant bits.  We cut the fish and removed as many bones as we could.  Grandpa then cooked up the fish for me, all the while explaining the different characteristics of the small mouth bass and the different fish I would find in the lake.  

We ate the fish on the picnic table together.  It took about two minutes and three bites each.  It was the best.


I love you Grandpa.