Monday 8 June 2015

I Tried To Stump Him With Random Words, But I Don't Think I Was Successful

Meine wunderbare Großvater

--By Tim Wysong
I must have been 5 or 6 and just starting to form memories. One of my earliest and most fond of
"Hi Tim. Want to see what I'm doing?"
memories was Grandpa’s work station he showed me; the one on Milton Street, up the stairs, past where I slept when I stayed over. It was here where I first learned about computers. I remember I was so confused why there was a picture of an apple on it. Apples were a delicious fruit that had no place on this strange object called a computer. I was fascinated about that room and of all the books and projects Grandpa was working on then and
Tim Wysong
tried to spend as much time in there as possible. I even remember watching a football game with him in there on a little TV. We lost on the last play and anger ensued. He, being level headed, told me it happens and to relax, and made the tough loss better; a memory I will never forget.

Hola...
As I grew older into my late childhood and early adolescence was when I really started to appreciate Grandpa's cerebral prowess. Whenever he came over for dinner he always strutted his stuff and knew how to say whatever was just said in what seemed like every language imaginable. I remember always asking him to translate English to Arabic, and then again in Spanish, then again in German. He, of course did with no hesitation. I always smiled and thought it was not possible to know as many languages as he did at the level he did. I tried to stump him with random words but I don’t think I was successful. I was so proud, and still am, to have such a genius grandfather.

Babysitting Tim
As an adult, I was read a passage Grandpa made about me while babysitting me when I was a newborn. It had its politically charged moments and was laced with wit yet very endearing. In it he said someday when you have grandkids, hopefully you will look back and remember me fondly. As kind and caring and smart as he was, how can I not?
Love you Grandpa,


Tim Wysong