Wednesday 27 May 2015

Golf, Bridge, Gin Rummy, Poker -- And A Wild & Wooly Trip North

Golf, Bowling & Playing Cards...

--By Rita Wysong
Bob was a good golfer, when young.  While in Jidda, I sent for new golf clubs for him and he loved golfing with the Ambassador and his co-workers after work. He has always been a good bowler and tolerant of me, who was not good at the sport. But his biggest love has been fishing.














He also has liked to play cards. We had no TV in foreign posts so played cards.  We joined bridge clubs - tricky since we were new at the game.  We played gin rummy and poker and whiled away the hours on the Dutch ship, the Raki, on our way to Jidda. Our new friends from Australia, commented about our playing poker for high stakes. Back in the States, we taught our boys to play bridge and Bob often played with me at the senior center. We have enjoyed sightseeing with the kids, going on outings, taking in shows at several theaters in the area, and spending quality time with them.

And who can ever forget the trip he and I, Suzy, Bobby and John took to Alaska, pulling a camper and traveling l0,000 miles?  The memory of Bobby standing there with a shredded camper tire and saying "I hate to tell you this but ....." will always remain with me.  It was a once-in-a-lifetime trip but I would never do it again.