Monday 6 July 2015

Glad I Started Writing The Tribute


Celebrating His Life

--By Rita Wysong
When I saw the posters Katie had made up for Bob for the reception, two sentences said it all.  On one poster with photos of his kids: She wrote: "A loving husband and father." The other poster said '''An adored grandfather." This showed many photos of him with his grandkids.  He was always teaching them something and they thought he treated them like grownups and not little kids.

Family Poster At Reception
Laura flew down from Oregon and Priscilla came from Chicago.  The night before the funeral.  Linda had just arrived also, Bobby and Trish hosted a cookout for the family.   They had made booklets of Bob with the program for the funeral mass.  Beautiful.  Everyone was sitting around telling stories  about Dad, most of them very funny.   They were celebrating his life.

Yesterday , Charley and Mary picked me up to take me to the church (St. Martin's).  There was a viewing before Mass and we thought about there being maybe 70 in the church.  I was very touched by the fact that John's people from the engineering firm where he has worked for over 25 years, were there.  Also people from Trish's office (Lockheed Martin), were there and had sent flowers. Suzy's Jay's family were there,  and of course, everyone from our family. My sons and grandsons carried the coffin. Also, Mary and Charley drove down from N.Y.

Bob looked so peaceful.  Toward the end, for the past year he was in Wilson Health Care, he looked so ill and had become so frail. And of course, the past weeks were very sad.  As Bobby said,  "He is now in heaven."  And anyone who knew Bob, and everyone he knew liked him, will agree with that.  He was a loving, uncomplaining person, right up to the end.

The altar had many floral arrangements and many people had sent flowers (people I didn't even know).  I had them distributed afterwards to our kids and also to grandkids and one of my best friends here.  I kept a few.  One very large elaborate basket with white flowers of many kinds I gave to the people in the lobby of my apartment.  I have four left.  A large basket of larkspur, daisies, and lilies for the coffee table and 3 vases of roses for living room and dining room here at my apt.

Linda read a eulogy at the Mass and Bobby and John did readings. It was a lovely service.  Maurio, the organist, played "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring" -- my very favorite piece of music.  Also, "On Eagle's Wings" which I love.  Many of the people in the church sang along as he played the music.

Afterwards, eight of us got into a long, black stretch limo at the head of the funeral procession to Gate of Heaven cemetery where Bob and I had bought two plots many years ago. It is in a wooded area, and  beautiful.  As we were seated with Msgr. Brennan and a young cleric doing the blessing and final prayers, we saw two deer running across the meadow near where we were sitting.  Also, some of the people commented on seeing a red fox. I thought this was a lovely touch as Bob loved woods and loved seeing wild animals, especially deer.  We even had them come around at Frenchton Place.

Then in the limo (with everyone telling their favorite story about their Dad, and I reading the poem he wrote about the fact that I had caught a big salmon in Alaska and he didn't.) This was one of my favorite recollections.

Then to Trott Bldg. and down to the Conley Hall where the reception was held. I think there were about 50 of us. Trish had picked up a lot of good food, wine etc. and everything was out on the tables. About 7 of my best friends were there (from Trott), plus even my best friend, Mary Jane from Frenchton. She had brought her tiny dog in a little kit. Dahlia loved seeing him pop his little head out.

When Mary Jane would come to visit a year or two ago, with Gizmo, he would make a beeline for Bob's lap.

Finally, everything wound down and I was back in my apt.  I was exhausted but so grateful to everyone who had come and struck by their kindness.  The kids said I was a "trooper" and only broke down once when I first saw Bob in the casket.

I got a good night's sleep.  Bobby and Linda were planning to go fishing today at l0.  

Laura and Bobby and Trish, their son Tim, Suzy and Rick, Katie and Andy, hopefully Patrick and his family, and hopefully John and some members of his family will be able to make it to Trott tomorrow. We will meet here at my apt. at ll, and go over to Crawford dining room about noon. I have to call and make reservations as soon as I get calls back confirming how many will be here.

We will be celebrating Bobby's 59th birthday.

Well, that is it for now. I am so glad I started writing the tribute to Bob a couple of weeks ago.  There were so many additions and Trish made me copies of everything for my notebook.

Bob is gone but definitely not forgotten.  He lived a long life and a good one.

So, Goodbye My Dearest Husband.  You are in a good place now.  We will always love and remember you.

Rita